Skills of PEEK 3d printingBarry Nom
PEEK is an engineering plastic with excellent performance. You can use PEEK in machinery manufacturing and aviation manufacturing. Furthermore, in the field of biomedicine, PEEK has excellent biocompatibility. Therefore, PEEK is a good orthopedic implant material. Regarding the progress of FDM PEEK 3d printing technology, many 3d printer companies have launched FDM 3d printers that can print medical-grade peek filament. However, do you know there are many skills of PEEK 3d printing?
Skills of PEEK 3d printing
Now 3D printers that allow high nozzle temperatures and heated beds rise. As a result, PEEK 3d printing allows the more complex design geometries that cannot be produced using other technologies. It is also an ideal choice for Fused Deposition Molding (FDM). Because of PEEK filament is low moisture absorption, especially compared to other common materials such as ABS.
- Before printing, that’s better to dry the PEEK filament in a drying oven for 12 hours.
- Ensure the printing temperature steady. PEEK/PEI does not perform well under fluctuating temperatures. It is strongly recommended to use a printer with a fully closed chamber.
- Use good quality peek filament. Sometimes hobbyists encountered dark spots on PEEK printed parts. Although there may be many reasons for this, the most common explanation is impurities in the printing material.
- Keep the printing extruder or nozzle clean. After the printing process completed, the nozzle should be cleaned immediately. Otherwise, the remaining material would block the nozzle.
- Pay attention to crystallization. If the color of the printed part is different, such as brown discoloration, this may indicate incorrect annealing.
- Store the PEEK filament in a dry place. When you do not use PEEK material for printing, you should put it in a sealed bag in a cool, dry place.
How to anneal PEEK printed parts
Annealing ( or post crystalizing) is much important to 3d printed peek parts. And you can follow these annealing intructions for your PEEK 3d printing parts.
- Place the printed parts in the cool, room-temp oven.
- Then set the oven temp to 120°C, and allow it to stabilize for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, increase the oven temp to 150°C, and allow to stabilize an additional 1 ~ 3 hours. (longer for thicker and larger parts)
- After heat soaking at 150°C in step-3, you can reduce heat back to 100°C, and stabilize for 30 minutes.
- Finally, turn off the oven heat, and keep the printed PEEK parts inside the oven, until it back to room temp.
In Super3d Shop, they have Creatbot 3d printers which support PEEK 3d printing. You can contact them for a good price.
High temperature Creatbot F430 PEEK 3d printer 400x300x300mm
- Creatbot F430 PEEK 3d printer
- Print size 400x300x300mm
- Fully enclosed metal chassis
- Max. 420°C print temperature hotend
- Heat bed platform max. 140°C
- Heat air chamber max. 70°C
- Air filter system HEPA
- BLtouch auto leveling